Thursday, June 4, 2020

Book Review - In Bed with the Devil by Lorraine Heath

After being embarrassed about my voracious interest in Historical Romances and keeping anyone from finding it out, I finally decided that I didn't care what people thought about my reading preferences. Even though I have read hundred of novels I never leave my reviews because of this embarrassment. But with this new year I have decided to write a review for every book I read. Hope you enjoy the first one.

 In bed with the Devil was not Lorraine Heath's first book I read but the first one I fell in love with. This book is the first installment of her Scoundrels of St. James series which tells us the stories of 5 former members of the Feagan's gang (Luke, Jack, Frannie, Jim, Bill), a group of child thieves mentored by Feagan to steal and survive in the streets.
Book Cover



Lucian Langdon, Earl of Claybourne alias Luke was fourteen and on trial for murder when the then Earl of Claybourne proclaimed him to be his lost grandson. Seeking an opportunity to escape he pretends to be the lost grandson and is thus raised as the heir presumptive. But he always carries this guilt that he is an impostor and taking something which is not truly his. The then Earl also takes in Luke's friends and teaches them skills which will help them in life.

Luke has always adored Frannie and knows that one day he would marry her. But she loves him as a brother and is reluctant to fit herself in aristocratic circles. Luke then inadvertently one midnight finds Lady Catherine Mabry in his library wanting a favor from him, to help her kill someone. She wants the cruel husband of her best friend Lady Winifred, Duchess of Avendale killed so that he could no longer torture her or their son Whit. But fearing that Luke might not agree and alert the Duke she doesn't tell him about the identity of the person she wants dead. They strike a bargain, he would kill only when Lady Catherine has taught Frannie, a commoner the ways of Aristocracy. Luke has always been intrigued by Catherine since the first time he saw her at a ball when she boldly held his gaze. 

Each Midnight they go to Dodger's Drawing Room, a gambling establishment where Frannie works and lives so that Catherine could teach her. Soon Luke and Catherine strike a acquaintance and then an easygoing friendship as they each realize that he is not a devil and she not arrogant and proud. They both are attracted to each other but Luke always feels that he is betraying Frannie. Catherine begins to love Luke but does not want to come between him and Frannie and so she hides her love.

I love the authors writing style which is short and direct rather than prosy. She does not focus or describing unnecessary background settings but rather focuses on showing the characters nature through their actions and not their words. I immensely adore both the Hero and Heroine. The Hero sees a lot of character developemnt from a (supposed) blackguard to the kind, caring person (that he always was). The Heroine is practical, outspoken, willful and not afraid to do what she believes is right. The plot flows like butter with every scene having meaning and nothing seeming over-exaggerated or undermined. The lovemaking scenes were few and meaningful unlike some authors who pop in truckloads of romping sessions just for the sake of it.

I cannot describe in so few a words how much I loved this book. It was as good as, if not better that my all time favorite Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypass. This series gives me a hope that I would find that satisfaction that I got while reading Wallflower series by Lisa Kleypass. Overall, I'll give it a 4.7/5
and not a full score because sometimes I got irritated that the Hero couldn't gauge the nature of his feelings for the Heroine sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment